Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I starve, therefore i am

Good morning people.

10:12 am and almost 36hours since i last had any food go properly into my body.

Words cannot begin to describe just how bloody hungry i am right now. My abstention from food is not by choice but on doctors orders.

Had a bad day yesterday. Within seconds of waking up, i was drowsy as crap and had to rush to the toilet to throw up. That was followed by throwing up about 2/3 times. Then a nice nap with the girlfriend - who stayed home to nurse me (yes i know she's really sweet) - after which i felt much better.

As i felt better, we both decided i should try to eat something. So i made and had some chips except halfway through the dizzyness returned and i promptly rushed to the toilet to throw up again.

After throwing up again we eventually went to the hospital.

Slightly off tangent but i really really really love the health system in this country and i dont really understand why the fuck people bitch about it all the fucking time. You get seen and treated pretty much for free and only have to pay - heaven forbid - for your prescriptions. A lot of the time, the prescriptions are free anyway. The NHS rocks and one of the worst things that could happen to this country would be if they changed the health system to a private healthcare system.

So anyway, i was seen by a first nurse who did the whole blood pressure thing, asked me a few questions and asked for a urine sample. Its quite a cool system, the first person sees you and gets the summary of whats wrong and in less than hour another doctor comes and sees you and sorts you out.
Except in my case, there was nothing to sort out. She said i was fine and i probably had a virus and gave me a leaflet about gastroenteritis which i have just finished reading. This happens all the time. Whenever i go to the hospital they always say that there's nothing wrong with me and just tell me to go home and chill out for a few days. I suppose this is a good thing but it is a bit odd.
She prescribed some sachet thing for me which i have to go and get to stop me from dehydrating and will give me some nutrients that i have been missing out on as i haven't eaten in a while. I am also to stay away from munching proper food for a bit and when i do i am to start slowly and work my way up.

The good news is i haven't thrown up in about 15hours and my dizzyness has almost completely stopped. The bad news is i am sooooooooo bloody hungry that the metaphor of eating a horse could well be literal in my case. I shall take it easy and do the whole starvation thing but i am really looking forward to when i am fully recovered.

My meal to celebrate....

A half pounder soaked in mayonnaise with chips and lots of chilli sauce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home